Can you believe CHRISTMAS is almost here?! The holidays have flown by and it just seems unreal that we are about to enter into the 2017 season. I am super excited for this Christmas because not only is it my husband and my first Christmas together as a married couple, but our son’s first Christmas as well. Talk about a big deal right?! I love the traditions that my family had growing up like, getting to open up 3 gifts on Christmas Eve (of which one was ALWAYS pajamas), having to line up from youngest to oldest down the staircase on Christmas morning, praying and reading a bible verse before opening gifts, and of course family Christmas breakfast! I loved breakfast after gifts because my mom always made some type of breakfast casserole. I think it is such a cool idea, one, because she was able to prepare it ahead of time and two, because she could add in so many different items. So this weekend I am leaving you guys with some breakfast casserole options! I hope you have the best holidays and enjoy time with your families making some of your own traditions. Let me know what you think! MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup almond or coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet placed over a medium-high heat. Add the sausages, and crumble while cooking.
- When the sausages are cooked, transfer them to a large bowl.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper to the same skillet, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Pour the vegetables into the bowl with the cooked sausages.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet, season to taste, cover, and cook about 8 minutes.
- Mix the sweet potatoes into the bowl with the sausages and vegetables.
- Pour the sausage and sweet potato mixture in a baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and serve warm with green onions sprinkled on top.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnut pieces, chopped
- 1½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coconut or almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons organic butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
Directions: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, sugar together in a bowl. Add half of the strawberries, half of the walnuts, and half of the chocolate chips.
In another bowl, mix together the milk, egg, vanilla extract, and butter. Pour dry mixture into a greased 10.5-by-8.5 baking dish. Top with the rest of the berries, nuts, and chocolate. Pour the milk mixture on top and gently tilt until it covers the entire bottom of the dish. Place the banana slices on top. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve Warm.