I hope you all are doing well. It’s Thursday so I know that means we are all getting excited for the weekend! Today I want to talk about something that I don’t think we hear enough about and eat enough. That is Fermented Foods! If you guys are anything like me, when I hear that, I instantly think of pickles. But did you know how many amazing benefits are linked to eating fermented foods? Now before you all go load up your cart with big jars of pickles let’s talk about what fermentation really is, some of these benefits, and some of the other great fermented foods and drinks that fits into this category.
What is the fermentation of food?
Fermentation is the chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microorganisms, typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat.
Don’t freak out when you see the words “bacteria” and “yeast” because our gut is actually made up bacteria called our “microflora” that make up your immune system and are needed to really optimize defense against diseases.
So what are some of these amazing benefits from eating fermented foods?
Here’s a few:
- Alleviating digestive disorders – the flora in living cultured foods form a “living shield” that covers your small intestine’s inner lining and resists pathogenic organisms like Escherichia coli, Salmonella and an unhealthy overgrowth of yeast
- Optimizing your immune system- An estimated 80 percent of your immune system is actually located in your gut.
- Strengthening immunity with increased antibodies that fight off infectious disease
- Helping pregnant and nursing mothers transfer beneficial bacteria to their infants (That’s right my fellow pregnant ladies, you crave those pickles!)
- Important Nutrients- Some fermented foods are outstanding sources of essential nutrients such as vitamin K, which help prevent arterial plaque buildup and heart disease.
- Regulating weight and appetite by reducing cravings for sugar, soft drinks, bread and pasta — all foods I strongly advise against
These benefits are so crucial and quite amazing! It is clear that eating these fermented foods play such a key role in optimizing our health. What are some of my choices in good fermented foods you ask? Let me tell you about some of my favorites!
- Pickles– Can help with vitamin K deficiency, and are loaded with gut friendly bacteria
- Sauerkraut- This stuff is PACKED with nutrients. It is high in fiber, vitamin C, A, K, and B. It is also a great source of copper, iron, magnesium, and calcium.
- Kombucha- This is one of my favorites! With it being high in vitamins, enzymes, and probiotics it aids with weight loss, detoxification, energy, joint pain, and boosting your immune system. Did I mention that it’s delicious too?!
- Kimchi– Another favorite of mine. This spicy Korean dish is known to improve cardiovascular health and digestion.
- Yogurt– You do have to be careful with yogurt because most are high in sugar, so buy it plain and flavor yourself! (buy organic)
- Raw Cheese– Get this made from goats milk, or A2 cows
I really want to encourage you guys to not only add fermented foods into your diet, but to try some new ones as well! Have a good one guys!