Everyone enjoys celebrating with a cocktail. If you intend to party tonight, here are some interesting alcohol facts to ponder while the bartender is mixing your cocktail…
1. New Year’s Eve is the most popular drinking day of the year. The second is … Christmas. Next on the list are the Fourth of July, St. Patrick’s Day, and Thanksgiving.
2. Unfortunately, alcohol is NOT calorie free. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy yourself.
3. Alcohol is derived from starches and sugars, but has more calories per gram compared than they do. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, compared to just 4 for carbs.
4. A standard bottle of red wine has the same amount of calories as a cheeseburger and fries.
5. The 5 most popular alcoholic beverages are: red wine, vodka, beers, white wine, and rum.
6. Alcohol has a different effect on men vs. women: female bodies have a higher fat-to-water ratio, which affects the ability to dilute alcohol. As a result, when drinking the same amount of booze, women tend to have a higher concentration of alcohol in their blood compared to men of similar weight.
7. Women take longer to metabolize alcohol because of lower levels of AHD, a chemical that breaks down alcohol in the liver.
8. Alcohol is a gigantic business. The market in the US is valued at $10 Billion in annual sales. That’s why we are constantly bombarded with commercials and ads for beer, wine and spirits.
9. Alcohol is the most widely used drug in the world. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 17.6 million Americans (1 in 12 adults), abuse alcohol or are alcohol dependent. Please don’t be one of them.
IN PENNSYVANIA WE KNOW THAT GROUND HOUNDS DAY IS A HUGE DRINKING DAY, SO HERE’S SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT DRINKING. I’M NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND WHY, BUT THE MOST FAMOUS GROUNDHOG IN PA, PHIL, HAS HAD PEOLPE DRINKING WAY TOO MUCH FOR YEARS ON FEBRUARY 2ND.