Water is one of those things that you never really think about. However, It’s one of the easier and cheapest things that you can do to improve your overall healthiness. Just drinking more water can help you lose weight, eliminate toxins, improve your skin, increase your energy, just to name a few. We tell our patients to drink at least 1/2 of their body weight in ounces of water each day. Drinking water aids in digestion and health elimination. So if you can’t, go try increasing you water, a lot of time it’s just that simple. My patients know that your first “pee” of the morning should be yellow in color but, after that you should pee mainly clear with just a small tint of yellow. If your pee is bright yellow one of two things are happening, 1) you aren’t getting enough water intake or 2) the vitamins that you are taking are not being absorbed by your body and your literally peeing your money down the toilet. I have attached and article that you give you some ideas on how to increase your water intake and make it easy to get your daily allowances in.
KISS fact: Remember that not all water is created equal, purified or distilled is best because if its labeled that way it MUST be clean, pure water. If it is labeled spring water can be any thing from tap water to chemically treated water. You don’t want to add toxins back into your body from drinking water. The PUR and BRITA filters are not all what they claim either and the same is for you fridge water, it is not filtered enough. A reserve osmosis system in your home is another way to insure that your water is clean but, those systems are very expensive.
10 Simple Ways to Drink More Water
The original zero-calorie drink, water is cheap, available most everywhere, and an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Many people find it hard to drink water, after many years of soft drinks and juice. Here are ten tips to help you increase you water intake.
- Temperature: Find out which water temperature you like the most, and make sure you always have some on hand. If you enjoy your water ice cold, find a container where you can keep it iced all day.
- Flavor: Add lemon juice, lime juice, orange slices, cucumber slices, berries or herbs/herb extracts (like peppermint).
- Bubbles: If you like soda, try sparkling mineral water or flavored sparkling mineral water: none of the calories and all of the carbonation.
- Bottles: Having a water bottle you like around you all the time will make you want to fill it up over and over – and show it off. BPA-free of course.
- Straws: Because sometime sipping from a straw can help you drink more.
- Wake up with water: Starting your day with a glass of water is easier because you’re thirsty from that (hopefully) nice long night of sleep you’ve had.
- Brew something: Sometimes we overlook tea as a source of hydration, but if you avoid caffeine and sugar, tea is a great hydrator!
- Remember how good it is: Once you start a healthy water habit, you’ll start realizing how good you feel when you do drink water. And if you start losing weight, keep that in mind every time you think about drinking something else!
- 9. Use it as a diet tool: Before you reach for a snack, drink a glass of water. Before you eat, and in between meals, feelings of hunger can be mistaken for feelings of thirst. Drink more water and save calories when you’re really just thirsty.
- Keep it clean: Remember ice is water too. So invest in a water filter, water filtration system, water softener, or water delivery. Anything that helps your water better is an investment worth making!